Friday 13 February 2009

New Woodland Walks around Burlingham

Still on my own, but with improved weather last Sunday, I decided to walk some of the paths around Burlingham detailed in a new guide I found in Acle Post Office.

A lovely sunny day, although still bitterly cold, saw me set off on a circular walk to South Walsham from Acle, up Mill Lane (the off road section of which is in a shocking state - notwithstanding the mud, which can't be helped at this time of year, the landowner has dumped a load of hardcore including broken paving slabs, making the surface very uneven and not suitable at all for anyone unsteady on their feet).

I think these new paths are a great idea though, providing a different route to South Walsham and Burlingham, away from the river and/or the main roads, and they are signposted well - to start with. I had a few issues with the signs further on, but I did manage to find my way to South Walsham without too many problems.


Snowdrops in Burlingham Long Plantation

Into the Ship Inn for a quick pint of Tipple's Topper (not bad - a little lifeless). This pub has fairly recently re-opened and is now pretty much set up as a restaurant, with every table set for eating and the food a little on the pricy side. BUT, at least it's open and serving real ale - so no complaints.

As they had stopped actually serving food, I wandered round the corner to Fairhaven Gardens, for a bite in their cafe/tearoom. I hadn't been in since the new
building had gone up, and I think that while it isn't the most attractive from the outside, it is warm and welcoming inside, with a good range of light meals and snacks, especially for veggies such as me.

Walked back to Acle on the footpaths via Upton and Fishley church as the weather turned, but an enjoyable 8 miles, and was good to see Louise again at Fairhaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment